How to Smoke a Ham Hock
- 1). Set up your smoker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 2). Soak hickory chips covered with water in a disposable aluminum pan for 30 minutes to an hour.
- 3). Start the fire in your smoker or plug it in if it is an electric model.
- 4). Place the soaked wood chips in the smoking tray.
- 5). Set the ham hocks on the wire racks of the smoker. Leave at least an inch between each hock on the rack.
- 6). Close the smoker and smoke the hocks for several hours or overnight. Check the smoker every 2 to 3 hours; add charcoal and soaked wood chips if you're using a charcoal smoker. Add soaked chips as needed to keep the smoke level high if you're using an electric model.
- 7). Remove the ham hocks from the smoker at the end of the smoking process. The hocks are ready to be cooked, or they can be frozen for later.