About Teflon Coated Curling Irons
- Teflon coated curling irons let hair slide smoothly over the barrel of the iron. They are less likely to "grab" hair than irons made of other types of metal and can be used with multiple styling products. Teflon helps distribute heat evenly throughout the barrel to eliminate frizz and create soft, bouncing curls.
- Teflon coated curling irons can be made of any metal. They are simply coated with a thin layer of Teflon, which is also used in many cooking tools to keep food from sticking to pots and pans. The Teflon coating on the barrel of the curling iron is very thin and covers the entire barrel including the curling iron clamp, if there is one.
- Teflon coated curling irons come in every shape and size.
Teflon coated curling irons come in every variety. Teflon is used on large barrel curling irons and spiral curling irons as well as flat irons. Teflon coatings are particularly good for fast-heat and high-heat irons because without its protection, their extreme temperatures could damage your hair.
- Teflon coated curling irons protect hair. If you use a curling iron more than once or twice a week, you may be causing serious harm to your hair by breaking it down or even "shredding" the outer layers of your hair. Teflon coating allows heat to get through for styling purposes, but shields hair from the serious damages of regular exposure to high heat.
A Teflon coating also helps hair slide through or over the iron while styling, which helps you get smoother curls without "crimps" where the curling iron was originally implemented or toward the end of the hair where you released the lock.
Teflon coated curling irons are also easy to clean because styling products do not "bake on" over time as they do with non-treated curling irons.
- If you are considering investing in a teflon coated curling iron, be very clear about what you want to accomplish with your new styling tool. Teflon coatings work well when you are using a lot of products or when you use your curling iron on a regular basis. However, if you want very set curls that will hold without product, then teflon may not be right for you.
- Even though Teflon curling irons are designed to protect your hair from high temperatures, they are not safe for use by young children. Always make sure that your curling irons are stored out of reach of young children and that even older teens and tweens use them only with supervision. Any curling iron, including Teflon curling irons, can cause serious burns.