Relieve The Pain Of Arthritis
The name arthritis means 'inflammation of the joints'.
One of the more commonly known forms of arthritis is osteoarthritis especially in the elderly.
It is a degenerative disease that effects the cartilage of the joints, particularly the load or weight bearing joints such as the hips, knees and spine.
Cartilage acts as shock absorbers between joints and allows the joint to glide freely.
Without cartilage, the joints develop a very rough and rigid surface to move on.
Over time degradation of the cartilage between the bones of the joint causes considerable pain and swelling.
Osteoarthritis is usually caused by physical injuries, infections or by repetitive joint stress.
It is also proposed that, as we age, we lose the ability to produce healthy cartilage.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by joint pain, swelling, redness and loss of mobility.
Let's Try to Slow Down the Wear and Tear A healthy diet and specific nutritional supplements, along with some lifestyle changes, can ease the pain and discomfort of osteoarthritis.
* Increase protective antioxidants in your diet as these remove free radicals responsible for inflammation within the body.
Foods that are to focused upon are colorful fruits, vegetables and leafy salad greens.
* Increase the healthy fats in your diet to promote the natural inflammatory pathways of the body.
Cold water fish rich in oil, free range eggs, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, macadamia nuts and oils, raw nuts and seeds are all foods rich in healthy fats that reduce inflammation.
* Choose lean protein sources with minimal saturated animal fats.
Protein foods for example, fresh local fish, organic eggs, organic chickens or secondary sources such as whole grains and legumes should be included.
Protein shakes can be considered to ensure you are receiving enough protein daily.
* Reduce your intake of inflammatory fats contained in processed and take away foods.
Consuming a diet high in red meat can also make arthritis worse.
* Reduce the intake of sugary foods, soft drinks, alcohol, tea and coffee, known junk foods.
* Some people consider the following to exasperate the symptoms of arthritis, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and capsicum.
* Exercise regularly.
Exercise keeps the joints flexible, improves muscular strength and assists healthy weight maintenance.
* Keep your weight within the body mass index for your size will help reduce strain on the joints.
The impact of every step on your joints can be quite damaging if you are overweight.
* Keep yourself hydrated by drinking 2 liters of filtered water a day.